Posted in Gynecomastia
Male breast reduction surgery, also known as gynecomastia, is a procedure offered to men to help eliminate excess tissue from the chest region and create a more masculine-looking chest. Thorough preparation should precede this procedure to ensure a safe surgery and the desired results. A well-prepared patient will feel more confident about the procedure and increase their chance of a smooth surgery and fast recovery.
What Causes Gynecomastia?
Gynecomastia can be caused by a number of different things, including but not limited to:
- Weight gain
- Supplemental drugs
- Prescription medications
- Recreational drugs, like marijuana
- Hormonal imbalance
- Anabolic steroids
Regardless of the cause of your gynecomastia, male breast reduction surgery can help you rid yourself of the condition and finally feel confident in your body.
How To Prepare for Surgery
Below are some basic guidelines to help enable patients to prepare well ahead of their gynecomastia surgery:
- Arrange for all previous health records to be sent over from the doctor and specialists directly to your surgeon’s office.
- List all medications, including blood thinners, prescription medications, herbal supplements, and vitamins that you may be taking.
- Get any x-rays or other tests done as directed by the surgeon.
- Discontinue smoking for at least two weeks before your surgery or as instructed by the surgeon.
- Complete any household chores or work-related tasks in advance so that you can relax and rest during your recovery time.
- Arrange a friend or family member to aid you during the first 48 hours after the surgery, if possible.
- Request for someone to drive to and from the surgery center.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing, and shoes on the day of your gynecomastia surgery. Button up tops and loose pants or shorts are recommended.
- Remove all body piercing, accessories, and contact lenses.
- Discontinue any use of ibuprofen and aspirin for at least ten days prior to surgery
Patients who follow their surgeon’s advice for preparation will benefit from a safer surgery and quicker recovery. When you partner with Dr. Gray, he and his team of friendly experts will help you throughout every step of the process to make sure it all goes smoothly.
Choose the Right Surgeon for Gynecomastia Surgery
The results of gynecomastia surgery can vastly improve your self-confidence, romantic endeavors, and quality of life. However, to achieve the best results, it is paramount that you choose the right surgeon.
You’ll want someone who is:
- Board certified
- Has sufficient experience treating gynecomastia
- Understands the underlying causes of gynecomastia
The experience and training required to become a double board-certified plastic surgeon mean that you are in the hands of an exemplary plastic surgeon. A board-certified plastic surgeon knows many causes for gynecomastia and will order the proper tests to ensure the appropriate surgical approach.
In addition to his top-level training at Harvard and Stanford, Dr. Leonard Gray has treated countless satisfied patients at Bay Area Plastic Surgery over the years and is widely known as one of the very best plastic surgeons in the Bay Area.
Gynecomastia Surgery in San Francisco, CA
Whether you want a more sculpted chest or to remove excess fatty tissue in the chest, gynecomastia surgery could be the right solution for you. Dr. Gray will develop a customized treatment plan for you, which includes how to best prepare and recover from your treatment. For more information, call us at (612) 215-1638 or visit our website to request a consultation with Dr. Gray today!