Chemical Peels in San Francisco
Peels are a great way to brighten skin, smooth fine lines and texture irregularities, regulate sebum production: reducing acne, stimulate collagen, and boost your home care regime. We offer a wide range of peels to suit your need.
Dr. Gray Offers
Lactic Acid Peels
This is a very light peel that is usually added on after a facial followed by a mask.
- No downtime
- Great for all skin types
- Helps remove germs dead cells and toxins
- Skin appears smoother and more toned
- Not painful even on sensitive skin
SkinMedica Illuminize Peel
Gentle blend of Salicylic, Mandelic, Malic, and Phytic Acids with other ingredients
- Little to no down time
- Best for mild skin imperfections
- Can be used right before an event for glowing skin (most skin types)
- Peel is self neutralizing for a quick lunch time peel
- Hours after just 1 peel you will notice freshening and brightening of the skin
- Peel can be repeated every 2 weeks
Perfect Peel & Perfect Peel+
Medium depth TCA peel with Glutathion (the ultimate antioxidant)
- 3 to 7 days of downtime
- Results are best if skin has been prepped a month before with a good home care regime
- Peel can be customized to address individual imperfections
- Improves acne, acne scarring, melasma, reduce pore size, and soften fine lines
- Stimulates collagen to help prevent wrinkles
- Peel can be reapplied every 4-6 weeks for a series of three
Obagi Blue Peel Radiance
Salicylic Acid (BHA) based peel for superficial peeling
- Little to no downtime
- Good for a wide range of skin types
- Beautiful results after 1 application, even more, radiant skin after 3 peels
- Good for mild to moderate photodamage
- Improves acne and acne scarring
- Tightens and brightens
- Can be reapplied every 2–4 weeks for a series of 4-6 peels
During & After the Proceudre
The chemical application for a peel follows similar steps. The only difference will be the type of acid solution used, the amount applied, and the period of time that it is left on the skin. Once the chemical reaches the target skin layers, a neutralizer will be applied to immediately stop the effects of the acid. Downtime depends on what kind of peel is done. There is no downtime for mild peels but for deep peels, patient will be in a healing process up to 14 days. After the treatment, it is important that the patient allow the peeling process to occur naturally and do not assist in peeling or pulling at the skin. It is also extremely important to avoid sun exposure for a period of time after the treatment.
San Francisco Chemical Peels FAQ
Depending on the peel used, there may be some general discomfort. With the lighter peels, patients will feel some stinging but it goes away quickly with the use of a handheld fan. The peeling process itself does not cause any pain. Medium and deep peels are more painful, and thus skin medications and antibiotics may be used to assist with any discomfort.
Dermabrasion is a facial rejuvenation procedure that treats surface irregularities, giving the skin a softer appearance. Dermabrasion works in many ways similar to a chemical peel. The difference, is that dermabrasion use surgical tools (a rotating brush or shaving instrument) to remove the top layer of skin through a surgical scraping process. A chemical peel uses a caustic solution that is rubbed into the skin. Both techniques result in a brighter, smoother complexion.
There are many skin treatments to consider depending on the patient’s aesthetic goals and skin condition. Chemical peels promote new skin regeneration and is best to treat skin irregularities. For facial conditions in which wrinkles are significant, a BOTOX or injectable filler may be a better option. There are also a number of laser treatments to consider as well.